Sunday, May 18, 2008

Altered Coffee Can




I finished a really neat project this afternoon. I saw this idea on a blog that I visit often. This girl does really amazing work - in fact, I just saw another really cool idea last night in a Papercrafts magazine and, as I was "oooohing" and "aaahing" over the project I looked up and noticed that it was created by her - the same girl I "borrowed" this idea from. Anyways, as soon as I saw this altered can on her blog I knew I had to make one. The vice principal at my daughter's school is leaving in June and I thought this would be a perfect "send off" gift for her to use at her new school. She is such a kind spirit and I will miss her dearly. This can is made using a jumbo coffee can which has been sprayed with white spray paint. After you paint it you bend it and begin covering it with decorative paper using Mod Podge. The handle was made using wire that I had on hand. I think next time I will choose a plain black wire instead of a colored one but I was trying to save myself a trip to HD. The welcome letters were made using my Cricut. I also (using the "borrowed" idea) attached a wired string of buttons with hot glue. This was my most favorite detail of the whole can. The buttons really add that homespun charm. I hope she likes it!