Friday, June 11, 2010

Another Area of Interest

Many who know me know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shopping at garage sales, thrift stores, consignment stores and basically anywhere I can get a good bargain. In fact, I have found so many wonderful things for my home by just being patient and being a good hunter for all things awesome!!  But, another way that I save our family's hard-earned money is by having my own garage sale twice a year.  I plan for weeks to make my sale really profitable.

Here's what part of my "gathering" pile looked like a few days ago:
I have a nice open space in my DR that I use as my "collection spot."  I begin at one corner of the house and I go through every drawer, every closet, every cabinet, every bookshelf, every cubby, and every container I can get my hands on to see what we have and what we are no longer using.  Those items are collected and then brought out to my garage several days before my sale.

Here's a small shot of the table set-up in my garage:
Through the years I have collected a total of six tables and one circular clothing rack that I pull out for every sale. Usually we have my car parked in the garage, but for a week we leave it outside so that I can have time to get everything ready.

Things that I do to get my items ready include organizing what kind of items I am selling: crafty stuff, home decor, children's toys, books, kitchen gadgets, tools and such.  I always make sure everything is clean and in working order. I also make sure I have instructions for toys and kitchen electricals and that all the pieces are included in my games and puzzles.  When all of that is done it's time to price everything.  (That's what I'm doing today.)

I've always try to have my sale with a friend or two, it's so much more fun that way. We price our things separately and then keep the sales tracked in a notebook. 

I'll be back with more details as I get ready...I'm off to get started on an early day by digging around in my attic before the sun gets too hot.

No comments: